Happily Ever After... And Then Some.

Our Storybook, one page at a time.

Friday, October 01, 2004

C

Snippets of our past, present, and future -- shaken, stirred, and carefully balanced -- will complete the day we finally become one. At the very heart of these elements are special people who have been with us throughout our journey. Selecting friends and bottling them up in categories has been quite difficult and sentimental -- opening doors that were once forcibly locked and ignored.

I thought that all would be forgotten and that there would be no reason to revisit harsh memories of troubled years -- but maybe weddings are also a time to heal and to forget. I now open the proverbial box of my childhood as Aldo and I put pen to paper and start our entourage list.

I had one best friend throughout my childhood - C - and I thought I would keep her forever. When we were in high school, we would always imagine how our prince charmings would be like, and when we would meet them. Summers of our growing-up years were filled with climbing hills in Baguio, playing air hockey in Glico's, ice skating, and excitedly choosing Tickles stationery
. We had a horrible prom (but got excited dressing up for it anyway) , caught cute boys during the fair, experienced alcohol and had our first high school dances together. Before we knew it, we were in college -- exchanging letters filled with stories of bewilderment, excitement, and frustration.

On my sophomore year, I moved to her campus and thought that our fun growing-up years would have a second chapter. Amidst adolescence, boys, and new-found freedom, we discovered that our childhood could never be rekindled. Now our conversations are polite and strained -- no more witty repartee, no more giggling-til-we-fall-asleep-sleepovers, and no more little notes to share.

I'm hoping that when I get to see C in Manila, the adolescent tears, laughter, and secrets kept within the folds of our shared notes overcome our adult stubborness -- and things will miraculously fall into place. After all these years, I'm sure we have both grown up and have learned to accept each other for who we really are. I pray that C and I will not only be polite, civil, or strained, because growing up wouldn't have been the same without her.

With apprehension and a healthy dose of happy memories, I complete our entourage list.

Bridesmaid: C