Happily Ever After... And Then Some.

Our Storybook, one page at a time.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

confessions of a bridalmagazine-holic



On my last day in Vancouver, Aldo and I were in Safeway, waiting for our turn at the check-out counter with a grocery basket full of chocolates when he spotted a rack of random magazines. He saw a Modern Bride in it, and began teasing me about finally having the license to buy a bridal magazine.

Quirky as it may seem, I refused to pick up a bridal magazine before I got engaged. I used to feel I didn't have a right to those things without the all-important ring on my finger... was afraid I would be tempting fate to do so, and that the bride on the cover might give me a smirk if I tried opening her magazine. (The worst thing she can do is throw me the bouquet, right?)

So at that check-out counter, Aldo got me my first bridal magazine. Little did I know that I would get hooked.

Three bridal magazines over the months that followed, I have realized that:
1. Bridal gown ads are repetitive - what Modern Bride has, Martha Stewart and Brides will most likely have.
2. Seeing a lot of beautiful gowns makes a confused girl out of me.
3. A lot of I-WANT-BUT-NOT-NECESSARILY-NEED wedding things are in those magazines.
4. I want my reception to be in a place with white walls, floor to ceiling windows, and big white drapes... and there is no such place in Manila.
5. Bridal magazines might even cost more than a hair & make-up trial session with some HMU artists in Manila.

I confess that I'm a bridalmagazine-holic (insert applause here.), and it's been 2 months since my last bridal magazine purchase. Thank God I have stopped having magazine cravings, and I've started pinning down what I really really want vs. what looks nice in magazines. There is hope for fickle-minded folks like me after all.

Ugh, I do hope that my magazines won't really result to overweight luggage when I go home to Manila.